- 1 medium green cabbage, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (Non Dairy OK)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (Low-fat OK - Non Dairy version OK)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (Low-fat OK)
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Combine cabbage wedges and
water in a large saucepan; cover and cook over medium heat 15 minutes.
Drain well, and place cabbage wedges in a 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a heavy
saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook over low
heat 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium
heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in
the salt and pepper. Pour mixture over cabbage, and bake at 375 degrees
for 20 minutes.
- Combine cheese, mayonnaise, chili sauce, onion, and green bell pepper; stir well, and spread over cabbage. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.